Two things you should do before reading the rest of this post/guide. First head over to the first post I did on Spiritual Weapons and then watch The Green Lantern movie because there will be a couple of spoilers here, but only to help you in your spiritual walk with God.
Now that you have done that(I hope). Here are the spiritual weapons as mentioned in Ephesians 6:10-17:
- The Belt of Truth
- The Breastplate of Righteousness
- Shoes fitted with the Gospel of Peace
- The Shield of Faith
- The Helmet of Salvation
- The Sword of the Spirit
Afterwards in verse 18 we are reminded to “pray in the Spirit in all occasions and be alert.”
In The Green Lantern, created by DC Comics and so anything comics or animation is fair game in my book. Ryan Reynolds plays as Hal Jordan- a man without fear and therefore a loose cannon who lost his father as a child and now he enjoys or “thrives off” of being a daredevil in the military and to many folks is considered irresponsible.
Long story short and while keeping Ephesians in mind- Hal encounters an alien life and a powerful ring is bestowed upon him because he is a man without fear. This is important because a great, huge dark monster feeds off of people and aliens’ fears and it kills them in this way. If the evil, which is called Parallax can smell fear on you- you’re toast. Hal is given a lantern with a ring which only be powered up if Hal says some words about being aware of evil around him and being of the light/day. He also can conjure anything by will. Anything he can think of is as strong as his will. In the movie, the color green is the color of will.
In essence these words are what saves the day in the end.
It was not by Hal’s own strength or the aliens’ who guides him strength, but when Parallax closed in on him and he pointed the ring just so in its face as it spoke evil to Hal, Hal remembered the words he got from the lantern- he spoke the words. This was his strength. His source of power and I believe if Hal had not repeated those words, earth would have been doomed for sure.
Now, what does all this have to do with Ephesians 6? I’ll make it plain point by point. Watch this:
- The Belt of Truth: God is truth. Learning about truth is learning about God. We are to absorb what is true and right, because the “devil is a liar and the father of all lies”(John 8:44).
- The Breastplate of Righteousness: Jesus is righteousness and leaning on Him, learning of Him, loving Him is right. Only righteousness will allowed in heaven. But what is righteousness exactly? How do we put that breastplate on? According to About.com on Christianity,
“People receive righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ as Savior. Christ, the sinless Son of God, took humanity’s sin upon himself and became the willing, perfect sacrifice, suffering the punishment mankind deserved. God the Father accepted Jesus’ sacrifice, through which human beings can become justified.“
The article then goes on to imputation and its process:
“In turn, believers receive righteousness from Christ. This doctrine is called imputation. Christ’s perfect righteousness is applied to imperfect humans.“
When you get the chance read the article on righteousness in its entirety.
- The Gospel of Peace/Our Feet: The spiritual battle will not be won with physical swords and monies. Sorry folks. The scripture states that our feet are to be fitted-ready to provide the Gospel of Peace to others. How do we know what this peace is? Take a look at Jesus. Read his words.
- The Shield of Faith: This is really important. In a world filled with intelligent doubters, malice, violence, and idol worshipers, it can seem a daunting task to have faith, but Jesus said all we need is the faith the size of a mustard seed. That’s tiny. Ephesians 6:16 says we needs this faith because “it is a shield against the flaming arrows” that the enemy will toss at us. Those flaming arrows could be anything: temptations, doubt, gossip- anything.
- The Helmet of Salvation: Joyce Meyer wrote a book years ago called “Battlefield of the Mind”- it is still a bestseller. Why? Because she knows and many in God’s kingdom should know that once the head is all messed up, the body is messed up. If Satan can attack our minds, then he can plant seeds to mess up our firm faith and knowledge of the Lord. Yes, it can happen to the most humble and strong of the Christians. Our minds must be protected because it is so powerful and yet so fragile.
- The Sword of the Spirit: Is the Word of God. Read your bibles. Commentaries and dictionaries to help study the bible are wonderful- but read your bible. How can you defeat Satan as Jesus did in that desert(Luke 4:1-14) if you don’t know your Word? How could Hal have gained the upper hand against Parallax if he hadn’t said the words of the Lantern? Same deal. Fiction can be entertaining, but the Word of God stands true in all cases.
I know many of you are like, “Wow! So much to say!” Well I am no official scholar and I am not that old and maybe you see something in this post that could be added or edited whatever. Please read and comment either way. We love hearing from you!