While reading a book about math, the author said,
Any memory decays or slips away. The brain is designed to forget as well as remember. What holds things in our mind are frequent reminders. (The Fear of Maths: Chinn, 12, 2011). *Emphasis mine.
Powerful, isn’t it? This quote may also explain why many of us stutter and sweat when trying to recall a verse. You know you have memorized that verse 11 times that morning and then when a friend asks you to quote it- GULP!
I think I know what our problem is. Check out these Scriptures:
“I have hidden your Word in my heart that I might not sin against you.”(Psalm 119:11 NIV)
“Keep my commands and you will live; guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart.”(Proverbs 7:2-3)
I think the reason many of us can not memorize Scripture, is because we are loading up His Word on our brains, when in reality, our brains can only hold but so much.
However, if you study these words and place them on your heart and create frequent reminders, you will find it easier with the Holy Spirit’s help to call forth Word.
A Few Tips on Memorizing Scripture Verses
- Understand that this walk is a heart and Spirit thing. Not just a “head” thing.
- Memorizing takes dedication. Do you want to learn one new verse a week? Three within a month? Create a plan and stick with it.
- Begin with short chunks for memory. Small verses you can recall is a great start!
- Want to remember difficult, or long verses? See if you can at least recall the chapter its in(this is what I do)
- Remember to create reminders by posting the verses around your home or office and in your car. Create reminders by speaking about God and His Word constantly(my husband does this)
- Highlight or underline certain key words within the verse that will help with recall.
By now I hope you realize that the easiest way is just to enjoy God’s Word everyday.
God Bless You!