If you are like me, then you have a least a small fascination with understanding why others gravitate towards other religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, or atheism, etc. and also if you are like me you will soon realize that perhaps it is because Christianity really tests your flesh and makes no excuses. Here are the reasons:
- Forgiveness. What other religion will say you have to forgive your enemies or the ones who murdered your family member, or that spouse that cheated on you. Yep. You have to forgive them too and yourself. (Acts 26:18)
- Lust ≠ Love. Welcome to Christianity 101. Now, depending on your knowledge of the bible and theology in general, sex before marriage is not encouraged in this religion. If it happens(none of us are perfect) then you may now consider that person your spouse. No more hopping from shell to shell to fulfill your needs. (Galatians 5:16)
- Caring for the Poor. Of course most religions are not completely set up to ignore the poor and needy. It just seems that Christianity as whole believes in this one hundred percent…now do Christians actually believe and practice this is the bigger question. (Galatians 2:10)
- Fellowship. I don’t like being around people all the time. Sorry. That is my personality type, but as a God fearing lady I am called to fellowship with others and when I do, I draw strength from them. As Christians we believe in community, not just society. (2 Corinthians 8)
- Following the Ten Commandments. Hard isn’t it? All of those Thou Shalt Nots. But you know what? If it allows us to have our Sabbath days free to honor Him and reminds us to love others and not commit adultery then it can’t be all that bad. (Exodus 20:1-17)
- Thou Shalt be Controversial. As a Christian you are Mr. and Mrs. Controversy by default. Because whatever God hates, we hate. What He loves, we love. End of story.
- Believing He Exists—-In Three Persons. Ouch! Yeah, this is troubling especially for monotheists. We can believe in God, El Elyon all day long, but where does Christ and the Holy Spirit come in the picture? It takes philosophy and lots of prayer to get others to understand that God exists in three persons without seeming like we are polytheists.
- Faith, Hope and Love When the World is Dark. If you are a Christian, you can easily let the world kick you down to the point you revert to old habits and addictions, but, Christianity is hard to follow because you are told to hold on fast to faith. No. Matter. What. (Luke 23:30)
See what I mean?
You have to literally be a Bible Warrior with a Spirit of Steel to make it out here in a world where it is super easy to be mean, lazy and selfish.
We are not called to that. We are called to be “the salt of the earth”(Matthew 5:13 NIV), “the beacon on a hill”(v.14).